Newsletter – Term 2, Week 3 2021

Term 2 – Week 3 2021

Important Dates

Week 3                 

Monday 17 May          The Resilience Project Parent Meeting – 7:00 pm

Tuesday 18 May          Keeping Ourselves Safe Parent Meeting – 9:00 am

Wednesday 19 May     Prospective Parents Meeting – 9:30 am

Friday 21 May              Pink Shirt Day

In This Issue

1. Welcome to Sunnybrae
  2. Enrolments at Sunnybrae Normal School
  3. Teacher Only Day (School Closed Friday 4 June) + School Closures
  4. The Resilience Project Parent Meeting
  5. Keeping Ourselves Safe Programme
  6. Pink Shirt Day 2021
  7. Upcoming Events for our Pupuke Kahui Ako
  8. Introducing our 2021 Student Councillors
  9. Sports Update
  10. Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
  11. Thank you
  12. Community Notices

1.  Welcome to Sunnybrae

This week we would like to welcome the following new students and their families to our school community: Haeun Chae (R3), Gayansa Wijesooriya (R16) and Punarvika Lokavarapu (R17).

2.  Enrolments at Sunnybrae Normal School

If you live ‘in zone’ and have a child turning 5 within the next year, please make sure you enrol them as soon as possible. Please also encourage any new in zone families to enrol their children as soon as they can to help us with future planning.

Our ‘Out of Zone’ numbers for Term 3 enrolments will be announced shortly. Please encourage any new families to enrol.

For enrolment forms and further information you can choose from the following options:

Our next Prospective Parents meeting is Wednesday 19 May in our staffroom at 9:30 am.

3.  Teacher Only Day & School Closures – Term 2

Teacher Only Day

As previously advised, all schools have been allocated eight additional Teacher Only Days between 2020 and 2022 through the Accord signed in 2019. Our next Teacher Only Day is on Friday 4 June and our school will be closed for instruction on this day. During this time our teachers will be attending a professional development day with other schools from our Pupuke Kahui Ako (Community of Learning).

The YMCA will be running their programme in our school hall on Friday 4 June to support families needing childcare. Times and prices are as follows:

7:00 am – 6:00 pm – $52 or 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – $42.

Queens Birthday

The School will also be closed on Monday 7 June for Queen’s birthday.

Parent/Teacher Mid-Year Report Meetings

Parent/Teacher Mid-Year Report Meetings will be held on Wednesday 30 June and Thursday 1 July. Children will go home at 12:30 pm on Wednesday 30 June. More information will be sent out closer to the time.

On Wednesday 30 June, the YMCA will be providing a special programme from 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm for $14. This is for any families needing childcare during this time.

Updated PARENT MEETING 

https://theresilienceproject.co.nz

Following the postponement of this meeting last week, The Resilience Project will now be introduced to Sunnybrae Normal School parents and caregivers on:

Monday 17 May at 7:00 pm

Location: Sunnybrae Normal School Hall

Our guest speakers from The Resilience Project will talk to you about how Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness can be used to support our students learning, and support you as parents and carers. This programme is an important part of our school’s effort to look after the mental health and wellbeing of our students. 

We would appreciate you letting your classroom teacher know via Seesaw as follows:

• Yes, I will attend this meeting
  •  No, I will not attend this meeting

It is important we know how many are attending to assist us with organisation. We look forward to seeing you all there. If you have any questions please contact either:

Wendy Frazer wfrazer@sunnybrae.school.nz

Mary Waters mwaters@sunnybrae.school.nz 

Melanie Hanson mhanson@sunnybrae.school.nz

Thank you for your support.

Kind regards

SNS Wellbeing Team

5. Keeping Ourselves Safe Programme

Keeping Ourselves Safe Programme – Years 1 – 6

Parent Meeting with Constable Steve Harwood

Tuesday 18th May

Staffroom 9:00 – 9:30am

Later this term, all students will be participating in a classroom-based programme which is taught by our teachers called ‘Keeping Ourselves Safe’. This programme is run in conjunction with the NZ Police and our Community Constable, Steve Harwood. 

Students will learn:

• to work out when their safety is at risk
  • how to keep safe when they meet and mix with other people
  • who and how to ask for help
  • to go on asking for help until someone does something to help them
  • that it is important to make and follow personal, family and school safety rules

We have successfully run this programme at Sunnybrae every second year for several years and consider this an important part of our Health Curriculum. As part of the programme, Constable Harwood will also take one lesson with each class.

If you would like to know more about this programme, you are welcome to attend our Parent Meeting with Constable Harwood next week on Tuesday 18 May at 9:00 am in the Staffroom.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our Health Curriculum Lead Teacher, Melanie Hanson by email:  mhanson@sunnybrae.school.nz.

6. Pink Shirt Day – Friday 21 May

Please wear a pink shirt to school on Friday 21 May and bring a gold coin to donate to Mental Health Awareness.

Pink Shirt Day is about working together to stop bullying by celebrating diversity and promoting kindness and inclusiveness. 

Celebrated annually around the globe, Pink Shirt Day began in Canada in 2007 when two students took a stand against homophobic bullying, after a peer was bullied for wearing a pink shirt. In Aotearoa, Pink Shirt Day works to create schools, workplaces, communities and whānau where everyone feels safe, valued and respected. 

Parent Evening with Dr Judith Locke – Author of The Bonsai Child
The Pupuke Kāhui Ako is pleased to announce a special parent evening with guest speaker Judith Locke. Her presentation will be on: Helping your child become confident and capable at school.

VENUE: WESTLAKE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL THURSDAY 3RD JUNE 6 PM – 8 PM
COST – $12
Book Here

Pupuke Kahui Ako Music Gala – Tuesday 29 June

On Tuesday 29 June members of our Orchestral group and our Year 5/6 Festival Choir will perform at the Pupuke Kahui Ako Music Gala at Westlake Boys High School. Please put this date in your diaries. Further information will be available in the coming weeks.

8. Introducing Our 2021 Student Councillors

Introducing Ayla Harvey – Room 19

Hi there, my name is Ayla Harvey and I am a member of the Student Council. I have just turned 10. I have been a peer mediator and a wet day monitor for a year and I am doing it again this year. In the past, I have been in the choir and Kapa Haka. This year, I am joining Kapa Haka again and I’m going to try the Pasifika group. I have a brother in Room 1 called Arlo. I really love to play Minecraft and Among Us (I play lots of different games). The reason I wanted to be in the Student Council is because I want to be a role model to the other students. If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know. 

By the way, I am taco crazy.

Introducing Yan Er Lok – Room 19

Hi, my name is Yan Er Lok and I am part of the Student Council this year. I am a peer mediator, a wet day monitor for Room 11 and part of the orchestra. In my free time I like to swim, read and doodle. I love designing things, no matter what it is. I hope my role as a Student Councillor will make the school a better place to learn.

Introducing Sienna Fitzgerald – Room 20

Hi! I’m Sienna Fitzgerald, and this year I’m in the Student Council. I love school and what it offers, small or big, so over the years I’ve taken as many opportunities as I could. 

This year, I’m in the orchestra, APPA choir, Kapa Haka and the uke group. I’m also a wet day monitor in Room 4, a peer mediator, and a librarian. If you adore reading or writing, like I do, you might have seen me in the library on Fridays.

I wanted to join the Student Council for many reasons, but mostly because: a) It looked like so much fun, and b) I believed that I could help make Sunnybrae fun and better for everyone.

Have fun in 2021!

9. Sports Update

Flippa Ball

Well done to our team who, even though they lost their game to the Willow Park Sharks, enjoyed the level of competition and experienced a new set of rules to a game that most of our players were just learning! Great defending and attacking and keeping possession of the ball. Flippa Ball is not for the weak-hearted. It involves a lot of stamina and great confidence in the water, not to mention receiving and passing the ball with one hand! 

Well done to our team of Year 4-6 players: Finn Cumiskey, Cruze Simmons, Chloe Everett, Keely-May Morrissey, Charlotte Barlow, Jake Crooks, David Wu and Rosie Beck. The Player of the Day went to Chloe Everett for scoring Sunnybrae’s one and only goal. Great teamwork all around!

Netball:

WOW! Our Year 4 & 5’s had their first netball games last Saturday 8 May. Great teamwork was shown as players really began to step up and show confidence during the game, demonstrating their ability to work well together and use the space of the court. Congratulations to the team as a whole, who lost by one point to Devonport. Well done to Summer Old and Kaia Mansfield on receiving team certificates for perseverance. Great work girls!

Year 4 team includes: Latiyana Tuitupou, Jessie Dong, Evie Togia-Dove, Summer Old, Mandy Zhang, Kaia Mansfield and Ayla Moore.

Year 5’s also played well, with the team working collectively and supporting each other. 

Successful plays were noted during passing, moving into space and defending the ball. We look forward to seeing further developments throughout the netball season. Keep up the great work girls! 

Well done to Taylor Karaitiana, Sanna Alexander, Chloe Everett, Sina Angitoa, Emilie Belsham, Isla Fitzgerald, Leonie Mackenzie, Mikayla Storrs, Zoey Soriano and Francesca Clewett.

Thank you to the coaches, managers and supporting parents of both teams.

10.  Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)

This week our PB4L focus has been on showing cooperation everywhere.

Our lessons have focused on: 

• Taking turns

11. Thank you

A very big thank you to Kat Bambury, Parent and PTA member, as well as Kat’s mother who gave up two days of their own time to paint the back wall on our stage this week. It looks fantastic. Thank you ladies for this amazing effort. 

Kind Regards

Lorene Hurd
Principal

12.  Community Notices

Copyright © Sunnybrae Normal 2021
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0
Call us on 09 443 5058
36 Sunnybrae Road Hillcrest Auckland