Newsletter, Term 2, Week 5 2021

Term 2 – Week 5 2021

Important Dates

Week 5   

Tuesday 1 June:     PTA Meeting in the staffroom – 7:00 pm, all welcome

Thursday 3 June:   Board of Trustees Meeting – 7:00 pm

Friday 4 June:        Teacher Only Day – School Closed

Week 6

Monday 7 June:      Queen’s Birthday – School Closed

In This Issue

1. Welcome to Sunnybrae
  2. Teacher Only Day – School Closed Friday 4 June + Monday 7 June
  3. Disruption to Parking – Sunnybrae Road and Tudward Glade
  4. Thank you for Supporting Pink Shirt Day
  5. Upcoming Events for our Pupuke Kahui Ako Community of Learning
  6. Introducing our 2021 Student Councillors
  7. Sports Update
  8. Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
  9. The Resilience Project Special Event
  10. Community Notices

1.  Welcome to Sunnybrae

This week we would like to welcome the following new students and their families to our school community: Yuna Chung (R1).

We also welcome back the following Student Teachers from the University of Auckland who are completing a 5 week practicum at our school towards their Graduate Diploma of Teaching: Panitra Angkeeros (R1), Lucy Insull (R7), Nicola Davis (R11), Joana He (R14), Gannon Moore (R15), Amy Giess (R17), Emma Teh (R18) and Emma Johnson (R19).

2.  Teacher Only Day & Queen’s Birthday – School Closed

Teacher Only Day

As previously advised, all schools have been allocated eight additional Teacher Only Days between 2020 and 2022 through the Accord signed in 2019. Our Teacher Only Day is next Friday 4 June and our school will be closed for instruction on this day. During this time our teachers will be attending a professional development day with other schools from our Pupuke Kahui Ako (Community of Learning).

The YMCA will be running their programme in our school hall on Friday 4 June to support families needing childcare. Times and prices are as follows:

7:00 am – 6:00 pm – $52 or 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – $42.

Queen’s Birthday

The School will also be closed on Monday 7 June for Queen’s birthday.

3. Disruption to Parking – Sunnybrae Road and Tudward Glade –  Thursday 3 June

We received notification that on Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th of June 2021, Flying Fish would like to film a continuation of an NZ Post commercial in Tudward Glade. Their contingency date would be the 5th of June.

Their security person will be reserving some parking spaces from 3:30 pm on Wednesday 2nd of June 2021. Most of the scenes will take place on private property and in a driveway.

There will be a scene with kids on bikes and for safety reasons, they will need to use a stop / go traffic control for about a half-day. They would only hold people for a minimum of time during takes.

Please be aware that this may affect parking and traffic in Tudward Glade and around Sunnybrae Road during school pick up on Thursday 3 June.

Thank you to all of those students and families who supported Pink Shirt Day last Friday. Pink Shirt Day is the movement to spread aroha and kindness and end bullying. We raised $349.80 for the Mental Health Foundation. Well done Sunnybrae!

5. Upcoming Events for our Pupuke Kahui Ako 

Parent Evening with Dr Judith Locke – Author of The Bonsai Child
The Pupuke Kāhui Ako is pleased to announce a special parent evening with guest speaker Judith Locke. Her presentation will be on: Helping your child become confident and capable at school.

Date/Time: Thursday 3rd June 6:00 – 8:00 pm

Venue: Westlake Boys High School 
Cost: $12
Book Here

Pupuke Kahui Ako Music Gala – Tuesday 29 June

On Tuesday 29 June members of our Orchestral group and our Year 5/6 Festival Choir will perform at the Pupuke Kahui Ako Music Gala at Westlake Boys High School. Everyone is welcome to come along to this wonderful event. Please put this date in your diaries. Further information will be available in the coming weeks.

6. Introducing Our 2021 Student Councillors

Introducing Rosie Beck- Room 20

Hi, my name is Rosie Beck and I’m part of the 2021 Student Council. This year I’m taking part in many school activities including librarian, APPA choir, Kapa Haka and the uke group. I’m also part of peer mediation and I’m a wet day monitor with Sienna in Room 4. As well as that I’m doing quite a few sports in and out of school: Netball, Table Tennis and Flippaball. I really like to sing and dance. 

I wanted to be a student councillor so I could help the school and make it the best place in the world. For those Year 5’s that want to take my place next year – you can do it!

Introducing Ximon Nang-Is – Room 19

Hi, my name is Ximon Nang-Is and I’m part of the Year 6 Student Council this year. Last year I was a peer mediator and a travelwise member. I play touch rugby, even though my favourite sport is basketball. This year I am helping the teachers by being a wet day monitor. 

In my free time, I like to read and play games like Minecraft and Clash of Clans. I love playing outside with my friends, my favourite place to go is the top of mountains.

The reason I became a Student Councillor is so I can help anybody so don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

7. Sports Update

Junior Netball: Below are photos of our Year 1/2 netball teams. The season has started off with a lot of fun, smiles and enthusiasm and the students are looking forward to their upcoming games.  

8.  Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)

This week our PB4L focus has been on showing excellence everywhere.

Our lessons have focused on: 

• Trying my best

9. The Resilience Project Special Event

Resilience and Wellbeing are key factors to ensure a happy and fulfilling future for our young people. In 2021 Sunnybrae Normal School staff are proud to be leading students through ‘The Resilience Project’. This evidence-based positive mental health programme builds resilience and happiness, focusing on three main strategies: Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness.

The Founder of the Resilience Project is Hugh Van Cuylenburg. He will be visiting New Zealand later this year and presenting at The Bruce Mason Theatre in Takapuna on Friday 2 July at 7:00 pm. This presentation will be suitable for all ages and tickets can be purchased from livenation.co.nz

Kind Regards

Lorene Hurd
Principal

10.  Community Notices

Copyright © Sunnybrae Normal 2021
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0
Call us on 09 443 5058
36 Sunnybrae Road Hillcrest Auckland