Week 6, Term 1 Newsletter

Term 1 Week 6: Friday 8 March 2024

Important Dates 2024
Tuesday 12 March – Year 1 & 2 Swimming Carnival 1:30 – 2:30 pm
Thursday 14 March – Year 5 & 6 Swimming Carnival 9:20 – 11:00 am
Thursday 14 March – Year 3 & 4 Swimming Carnival 1:00 – 3:00 pm
Thursday 14 March – Family Fun Fest Helpers Meeting in the Staffroom 7:00 pm
Friday 15 March – Family Fun Fest 4:30 – 7:00 pm, All friends and family welcome to attend
Thursday 21 March – BOT meeting, Staffroom 5:30 pm
Friday 22 March – Year 3 – 6 Triathlon 1:30 – 3:00 pm 
Wednesday 27 March – Whānau Hui in the Staffroom 5:00 pm
Thursday 28th March – Whole School Assembly 2:15 pm, All parents/caregivers are welcome to attend

IN THIS ISSUE:
Spotlight on Year 3 and 4
The Importance of Arriving on Time
Hero and Library Intergration
Contact with Your Child’s Teacher
PTA Update: Family Fun Fest – Whats on, Ways you can help
Sports Update: Swimming Carnival, Winter Hockey Registration
Community Notices

The PB4L focus for next week will be on: 
Respect: Everywhere – Using kind words

SPOTLIGHT ON YEAR 3 & 4:
Room 12’s Acrostic Swimming Poems
Shivering after swimming
Wet hair dripping.
I’m having so much fun. 
Making little kicks.
Meeting friends
I love swimming.
Never dry.
Getting splashed (always!).
By Madi

Splashing strong in the pool.
Water is warm.
I like swimming.
Morning swimming is cold.
Mornings are fun to go swimming
I like lunchtime swimming.
Never get warm in the pool.
Getting ready for swimming.
By Polina

Swimming is nice.
We love swimming in the pool.
I love freestyle.
Making bubbles is fun!
Meeting coaches.
I love breaststroke.
Nice cold water in the pool.
Getting wet in the pool.
By William

Room 13’s Crazy Hair!
We have drawn inspiration from our collage mermaids and their crazy hair who are swimming beneath the Sunnybrae yellow submarine on the classroom wall. The students wrote about crazy hair days and used black vivids and colourful dye to create their self portraits.

On a crazy hair day I feel frustrated because I can’t see properly. I also don’t want my hair to look crazy, crazy, CRAZY!  By Omer

On a crazy hair day I feel funny and silly because people tell jokes about me and ask why I am having a weird hair day. I like funky hair days. I wake up and my hair has turned messy. By Myles 

On a crazy hair day I feel excited, proud and happy because I am running in the grass with my besties. We are talking and playing tag on the Fitness Trail. This makes me feel better with my crazy hair. By Scarlett  

Maths Focus
During maths this week, Room 14 is focussing on the importance of place value. Given that our number system is based on groupings of ten, place value is an essential building block in mathematics. 

Self Portraits
Room 15 students have been finishing their self-portraits in the style of Tim Burton, they have features like large eyes, tiny noses and mouths and unusual facial proportions. Pop in and check them out! We did some fantastic recount writing on Monday, enjoy these super sentence excerpts…

“In the weekend I did some baking. I baked chocolate chip cookies! I worked so hard on them to make them perfect.”  By Talia

“Yesterday my mum drove me and my friend Yuna to Sheepworld where there was more than just sheep.”  By Mia

“My Dad drove me and my brother to Forest Hill Primary School to do my Judo comp. I was so excited there, then the match began. I competed against 3 people and I won all my matches. My mum was so proud of me and my brother.” By Vega

“Then I saw a dolphin stuck in a rock! My dad tried to help it but the dolphin was deep down in the sea so we couldn’t help it.”  By Hank

“We went into the x-ray room and she told me to bite on a stick thing. When I bit it she ran to the back of the room and clicked a button. There was a flash noise as she pressed the button. The stick hurt, and a shiver passed down my body.” By Joy

The Importance of Arriving on Time
Primary school is the grounding years of a student’s academic learning, setting them up for good study habits when they reach intermediate and secondary school age. It is important that they don’t miss out on the learning and social aspect of these important primary school years.

As part of our data analysis on attendance, we are identifying students that are regularly arriving late to school. This may be due to traffic, family issues, or other reasons not provided to the school.  All students are expected to arrive at school between 8:30 – 8:45 am so that they can prepare for the school day and connect with their friends. School starts at 8:55 am, and if your child arrives at school after 8:55 am they need to sign in at the school office. 

As a parent or caregiver, you may think that a few minutes late here and there won’t affect your child; however, over the course of a term, this time adds up to them missing a significant amount of school.  

Arriving to school late means your child has missed the usual morning routines which includes being read the Daily Notices where children are kept up to date with what is happening at school. This is when they are asked to join sports teams or to get involved in extracurricular activities within the school. Their late arrival can also have a disruptive effect on the rest of the classroom. 

If there is a reason that your child is regularly late and you need assistance in getting your child to school, please get in touch with your classroom teacher, as they are only too happy to help. We also welcome you to reach out to a member of our Senior Leadership Team for support.

Library Integration to Hero
Our school library system, Accessit, will now seamlessly integrate with our school management system, Hero. 

Through the Hero app, you can now receive real-time updates on your child’s library activities, including books borrowed, returned and any books that need to be returned to school as they are overdue. This transparency ensures you are well-informed about your child’s engagement with the school library. The integration will simplify administrative processes for our school staff, making it easier for them to manage all of our library resources. 

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to a successful and collaborative school year. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school.

Contact with Your Child’s Teacher
Your child’s teacher is your first point of contact should you have any questions.  Hopefully by now you’ll have had a number of opportunities to meet and connect with them. 

The best way to contact your child’s classroom teacher is by email.  A full list of teachers email addresses is available on our website. The power of the partnership between parents and teachers is immeasurable. We also have a really strong Learning Leader Team should you need further advice. Do not hesitate to contact the Principal or one of our Deputy Principal’s should you have a question that’s beyond the scope of your child’s classroom teacher or Learning Leader. Our aim is for you to feel supported as a parent/caregiver.

PTA UPDATE:

One Week To Go Until The Family Fun Fest!
This is the biggest fundraising event of the year and is all about bringing family together for some fun, food, and entertainment. On offer is BBQ sausages in bread, assorted BBQ meats served in buns (kindly donated by Silver Fern Farms) with sauce of choice, chinese dumplings, egg fried rice, Taiwanese pork mince with steamed rice, sushi, onigri and green tea, dutch fries, Harcourts coffee and cone cart, cakes and desserts and ice blocks. Extended family and friends are very welcome. Bring your picnic blankets and join us for the evening.  Friday 15 March, 4:30 – 7pm on the School Field

TICKETS FOR PURCHASES
We will be running a cashless system for all Sunnybrae-run games and food stalls. You will be able to buy $1 tickets from various locations at the Fun Fest and you can use those tickets to buy food, drinks and entry to activities.
PTA will be selling tickets between 8.30 and 9am, at the school office, from Monday 11 March. It is recommended that you buy some tickets during the week if you can, to avoid queues on the night. Eftpos and cash taken. Please note: We cannot refund unused tickets.

Ways you can help…
Parent helpers that are available to help set up on the day would be greatly appreciated.  From 2:30 pm we need assistance with putting up gazebos, moving tables and general set up duties.  Please come to the field and see a PTA member.

CHOCOLATE BAR DONATION – More Bars Needed!
Back by popular demand will be the famous Chocolate Coin Toss game at the
Family Fun Fest. We ask each family to donate one king-size bar of
chocolate as a prize for this successful carnival game. Chocolate bars can be
dropped off at the school office anytime. Thank you for your support.

PROVIDE HOME BAKING – SWEET AND SAVORY STALL
This is always a popular stall with the kids. If you can help with home baking for us to sell on the night at our dessert stall, please bring baked goods to the staffroom on the day of the Fun Fest. Please only provide items that can be served at room temperature. 

KIDS-ONLY GARAGE SALE
This year, we would like to have a kids-only garage sale as part of the Family Fun Fest. If you have toys, puzzles, games, bikes, or scooters that your child no longer uses, start setting them aside and donate to the Family Fun Fest. Please note: we will start collecting the items in the week beginning 11th March. Thanks for your help.

SPORTS UPDATE:
Swimming Carnival
The students are looking forward to showing off their skills they have learnt at the recent swimming lessons.
Parents and caregivers are all welcome to come and watch the Swimming Carnival.  Please make sure your child has named swimming togs, towels, and goggles on these dates. 
Tuesday 12 March
– Year 1 & 2 Swimming Carnival 1:30 – 2:30 pm

Winter Hockey Registrations
Once again, Harbour Hockey are offering a primary school hockey competition this year.

All games are played at the National Hockey Centre, Bush Rd,  Rosedale. Games are on Monday after school, starting around 4.00pm. This will vary with the different age-group grades. 

Harbour Hockey have introduced a new grade this year for the Year 1 & 2  age-group, this is designed to include skill-teaching and learning how to play a game. For more details, see the attached google forms or contact Rachel Olliver rolliver@sunnybrae.school.nz.

Click here to register for Year 1/2 Hockey 
Click here to register for Year 3/4 Hockey
Click here to register for Year 5/6 Hockey

Kind regards
Lorene Hurd,
Principal
SUNNYBRAE NORMAL SCHOOL

REMINDER:
Please note that all children are to be collected from school by 3.00 pm. If you are unable to collect before this time, you may be interested in booking your child into the YMCA after-school club held in the School Hall.  

COMMUNITY NOTICES:

Copyright © Sunnybrae Normal 2024
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0
Call us on 09 443 5058
36 Sunnybrae Road Hillcrest Auckland